Pilgrims, Promises, and Pinnacles
An Alpine Passionspiele
May 20 - June 2, 2020
- Wednesday, May 20
- Sometime in the morning leave home for your local gateway airport.
Flight or bus to Boston.
3:30 PM - Arrival in Boston and meet.
Boston - Munich - LH425 Lv. 8:30 PM
- Thursday, May 21
- Arrive Munich - 9:25 AM
- Meet our bus and begin the transfer to Altötting. Stop in Weihenstephan at the home of the world's oldest brewery for a tour with lunch afterward at the Bräustüberl. Check into the Hotel Münchner Hof in Altötting. Remainder of day free. Dinner on own.
- Friday, May 22
- Breakfast in hotel. Morning guided tour of Altötting, the Lourdes of Germany, including the Black Madonna in the Chapel of Grace. Lunch on own. Optional visit to Burghausen, the longest castle in Bavaria, in the afternoon. Dinner at Hotel Münchner Hof. Overnight in Altötting.
- Saturday, May 23
- Breakfast in hotel. Leave for Kochel am See. Visit to Herrenchiemsee en route and the palace of King Ludwig II. Guided tour of palace on Herreninsel. Lunch on own. Return to bus. Continue on to Kochel . Overnight and dinner at the Gasthof zur Post.
- Sunday, May 24
- Breakfast in hotel. Day trip to either Mittenwald or Benediktbeuren, with the opportunity to return by walking the Jakobsweg back to Kochel, or simply relax by the lake. Dinner on own. Overnight at Gasthof zur Post in Kochel.
- Monday, May 25
- Breakfast in hotel. Transfer to Oberammergau. Visit the Wieskirche on route. Check into Hotel Das Posch in Oberammergau. Remainder of afternoon free. Dinner in hotel. Overnight in Oberammergau.
- Tuesday, May 26
- Breakfast in hotel. Morning free to visit the monastery in Ettal. Get seated for the first part of the Passionspiele, starting at 2:00, followed by a three hour pause for dinner. Continue the performance until 10:00 PM. Return to hotel. Overnight at Das Posch in Oberammergau.
- Wednesday, May 27
- Breakfast in hotel. Transfer to Appenzell. Morning visit to Neuschwanstein, castle of King Ludwig II. Lunch on own en route. Arrive late afternoon at Hotel Alpenblick in Schwende. Dinner at hotel. Overnight at Hotel Alpenblick.
- Thursday, May 28
- Breakfast in hotel. A day of relaxation and reflection. Late morning excursion to Ebenalp, reached by cable car. Possible guided tour. Lunch on own on Ebenalp and free time to roam paths, alpine gardens, or simply relax. Return to Hotel Alpenblick by bus or on foot. Dinner on own at hotel.
- Friday, May 29
- Breakfast in hotel. Optional visits to either the Brauchtumsmuseum in Urnäsch, the Appenzeller Schaukäserei where the delicious Appenzeller cheese is made, or the town of Appenzell itself. Everyone will have an Appenzeller Railpass if they should wish to wander at their leisure instead. Return to hotel. Overnight and dinner at Hotel Alpenblick.
- Saturday, May 30
- Breakfast in hotel. Leave for Zürich. Visit Einsiedeln en route. Guided tour of the town and monastery. Lunch on own. Depart for Zürich and arrive late afternoon. Dinner to be planned. Overnight at the Hotel St. Josef in Zürich.
- Sunday, May 31
- Breakfast in hotel. Morning free. Afternoon walking tour of the Altstadt. Remainder of afternoon free. Dinner on own. Overnight at Hotel St. Josef.
- Monday, June 1
- Breakfast in hotel. Day free for shopping in Zürich. Farewell dinner to be planned. Overnight at Hotel St. Josef.
- Tuesday, June 2
- Breakfast at hotel. Leave for Zurich airport at 9. Arrive at airport and check in.
Zurich - Munich LH2369 Lv. 1:15 PM
Arrive Munich - 2:10 PM
Munich - Boston LH424 Lv. 3:40 PM
Arrive Boston - 6:00 PM
- Transfer and hopefully arrive home by 9:00 PM.
"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and avoid the people, you might better stay at home."
Special prices available for portions of the tour, including the Passion Play.
11 October 2019
- "Grüss Gott, Reisende!",
- "Willkommen! Wie geht's?", which means, "Welcome! How are you?"
This is to all those interested in travelling along the spine of the Alps, discovering the stages of history which occurred as well as the faith and resolve of the people. Whether it involved Bayern (Bavaria) and the Bayerisch, including mad King Ludwig, the faith and devotion of the inhabitants of Altötting, Oberammergau, or Appenzell, or the solitude of Einsiedeln, they all lived within view of some of the most beautiful mountains in the world. For most of us we experience mountains as peaceful, out-of-the-way places to either relax or renew our contact with nature. For those who live in the mountains, or near them, they seem to provide a sense of security and stability.
- With the Passionspiele in Oberammergau as the centerpiece and the Alps as a backdrop, the tour becomes a panorama of the lifestyle, customs, and beliefs of its inhabitants. While many of the locations we visit are either famous or touristy sites, the constancy of this interface will be the focus of the tour.
- The itinerary above should give you an idea of what the tour will look like. For those of you who are new to ALC, it is important to understand one of our most important qualities; one which distinguishes an ALC Journey from other travel experiences. Our commitment is to satisfy as many in each group for as much of the time as is possible. If you or your travel companion don't see something you might like considered, please let us know and we'll do our utmost to accommodate your wishes, even if it happens during the tour!
- The cost of the fourteen day, twelve night tour is $3795* per person, double occupancy, from Boston. While finances and the final tour cost are always a factor, ALC carefully considers all aspects of the itinerary so as to make the best use of your time. It is also our aspiration to optimize the value of both your time and your money spent during the tour. Centrally located hotels allow far more freedom and less "in city" travel time, not to mention the convenience of the opportunity for a quick nap!
- For pilgrims and those just interested in the Passionspiele you're invited to join us for a portion of the tour starting at $1500**.
- If there is anything you would like to discuss or inquire about, please send an e-mail to info@AdventuresinLanguage.com or contact me at 800-284-0252. In the meantime we sincerely hope the above will better help you to make your decision to join us..
Calvin Hooker, Director
- *$3795 does not include airfare and is based on 14 participants travelling.
**Contact ALC for details.
Home | Why ALC? | Adventures, etc. . . | Shangri-La | Journeys, plus . . . | Cadenzas
Passion Play 2020 | Student Programs | Feedback | FAQ | Contact Us